“The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” – Melody Beattie
We’re about to embark on a new decade, and we have the opportunity to view 2020 as a fresh start. We can begin this process by first conceptualizing the change you’d like to see transpire in your life. Then, ask yourself some questions – How will I get there? What steps do I need to take? Cultivating goals and healthy habits into your life can help pave the road for future happiness and success. Making healthy choices can increase our quality of life. Below are a few steps that can help lead to change:
- Know Your Habits – Ordinary things we do without much thought, good or bad — from getting dressed in the morning to having a few drinks every night — can become habits. Recurring behaviors that make you feel good, but aren’t necessarily good for you, can affect your brain in ways that create habits that may be difficult to change.
- Make a Plan – This may include small, realistic goals and actions to move toward change. Keep it simple.
- Stay on Track – Often easier said than done. Practicing self-control is important in developing the capacity to stay on track. Keeping a written record can be helpful, but don’t expect perfection!
- Think About the Future – Try focusing on how change might help you heal and enhance your quality of life. Keep your eyes on the prize, as they say.
- Be Patient – Change is a process, and it has its ups and downs. Taking it one step at a time.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Let’s work together to reach new plateaus for ourselves. Please join us for the first open psychodrama workshop of the new decade, New Visions for 2020, to start the new year on a positive note. No previous psychodrama experience is necessary.
To reserve a spot in the workshop, please register in advance through the below Eventbrite link:
Happy New Year and new decade! I’m looking forward to working with you!
– Valerie Simon, LCSW, TEP